This post is about Zoe…..many, many tears

so, you probably saw my post about our Weimaraner, Hank.  He is doing well and we are just awaiting the pathology results.  Unfortunately, Zoe started having profuse, watery diarrhea Thursday and then, last night started also vomiting.  She has had diarrhea intermittently for years and I am the queen of tricks to firm stools….this is very different and doesn’t respond to anything!  I took her to the vet on Friday and at that time, her labs were good and she was still well hydrated.  Last night, I got maybe 3 hours of sleep with all the trips outside.  She had both vomiting and diarrhea and with all of her medical issues, she wouldn’t do well to be hospitalized to get IV fluids.  If she doesn’t turn the corner by tomorrow, we will have to make the heart breaking decision to euthanize.  I just don’t want her to suffer!!!

91 thoughts on “This post is about Zoe…..many, many tears

1. Chris Neth

So sad that all of these babies are having such difficulty. My boy, Mulligan, succumbed to his epilepsy a few weeks back. After being diagnosed with HS, I thought all of his worries were over for a while since he seemed to have such positive results to all of the supplements. Then, after a year with no seizures, they reared their ugly head like never before. He had a very rough day with cluster seizures and I couldn’t bare to put him through any more testing, he was only 8 but dealt with a 100 years of health related issues. I miss him so much but know he will be forever with me. I truly hope that you all have some understanding that your pups know how lucky they are to have you as such committed people parents. Wishing your babies health and peace in their lives.
    /Users/christinaneth/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2015/06/08/20150608-011847/4HWvmYHYSMiGDWOxQng6qw/thumb_IMG_0627_1024.jpg

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Chris, I’m so very, very sorry!! It is always SO very painful to go through!! Prayers and hugs!!!!

2. Darlene

Jammie, my heart goes out to you. It so hard when you feel hopeless and helpless. I know you’ll make the right decision. My prayers and love to you, your family and Zoe. ❤️

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Thank you, Kristin. As you have already experienced, this journey is a painful one!! I appreciate your prayers!!! God gave her to us and we have loved her and cared for her for a very long time…..it may be time to let him have her back.

1. Kristin

Hardest thing I have ever been through and that is saying a lot. I loved her with everything I have. Still do. But I wouldn’t have given up a minute with her. She is still my heart.

1. Darlene

I’ll ask our vet about this this week. Sparkys doing well, eating playing and acting normal but his glucose levels are still high. Tomorrow he goes into the hospital all day for. glucose curve test where they’ll check his urine every 1/2 hr. He loves it there and it’s a huge hospital and everyone there knows Sparky and loves him so he’ll get lots of attention. I hope this works so we can regulate him better. He’s still peeing in the house at night. We have wee wee pads all down the hall which he’s been going on. He has no choice to go on them because they’re everywhere. My husband was getting up with his arm round 2 am but that’s gotten old. I hope this works. We’ve increased his insulin 4 times and it’s still high. Love to you all.

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Darlene, definitely ask your vet about that drug. It is also used for diabetic neuropathy and could help increase blood supply to organs and extremities. In the for what it’s worth category, we probably increased Zoe about 12-15 times before we got to her maintenance dose. If you can get him regulated, he should stop having to pee so much!

3. Betty Gabel

Jamie, I am praying for Zoe and for you to have the strength if you have to make the final decision for her. That is the hardest thing to do.
    I am glad Hank is doing okay. Sure hope that the report comes back in his favor.

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Betty, I so appreciate your prayers….these decisions are gut wrenching! I’m just praying that she has a good night tonight, as she hasn’t vomited since about 7am. I am a better caretaker than an end of life decision maker!!

4. Meg

Keeping all of you and your pups in my prayers. It is never easy when it come to having to make that dreadful decision. Keep your chin up and try to focus on all the good things! Sending you hugs!!!

5. Mona

Hi Jamie – Sooooo sorry to hear about Zoe. It’s been a few days since you wrote your post, so I pray she’s doing better now. Your comment about you being a better caretaker than end of life decision maker – well that’s where I’m at also. Hate to bring anything up when you’re dealing with so much already, but did Zoe ever have a time where her paws were red and raw? That’s how Shelby’s are now and it’s been over a week since we started her on antibiotics that haven’t seemed to help any. When she eats now it’s like she laps it up instead of chewing, like she can’t open her mouth like she used to. Just seems like it’s one thing after another and never any improvement. We told our vet if the feet haven’t gotten better after the antibiotics that we’d have to make that hard decision too. When she looks at me with those big eyes I just can’t imagine ending her life……..but really, what kind of life does she have now? Like you know – this is truly an awful thing to go through. Prayers for you and Zoe – reply if you feel up to it. Take good care!

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Hi Mona, I’m so sorry for all you are going through with her! At some point, we switched antibiotics when they didn’t work as they previously had….dogs (and people) can develop resistance to antibiotics if they are given the same one over and over. You could try that!

Zoe is improved….because of an antibiotic change on Monday…..it’s NOT without risks, because it lowers the seizure threshold, but she was going to die without adding it, so now we are praying for no seizures AND praying that Hank doesn’t have cancer!!!!

Feel free to call me to talk through any of this!! It IS so hard to know when the time is right!

6. Christina Joyner

How is Zoe?? So sorry you all are going through this!! I hope she is doing better!!

I also just wanted to let you know that the chicken stock (which we have now nicknamed “toe jam” because of the chicken feet used to make it) has done WONDERS for Dixie!! Thank you so much for sharing that with us. Dixie says “thank you” too! She loves it! 🙂

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Zoe is better, still! Thanks for asking about her! I’m SOOO glad that the chicken stock is working well!! It’s always fun to hear positives!!

7. Betty Gabel

Hi Jamie,
    I sure hope Zoe is still doing okay. What did the lab report show about Hank?

I haven’t found anything on your blog about feet swelling. Mitzi is limping and her right rear foot looks swollen. Do you have any suggestions that I can do to help it?

1. Jamiegoff Post author

sure hope Zoe is still doing okay. What did the lab report show about Hank?

Hi Betty, if it’s just one foot, I would look for what injury may have happened. Maybe have the vet look at her….could be a bite or sting or even a splinter?

Zoe is good….continues to eat well without diarrhea currently, so that’s a blessing.

Hank……I’m so very sad to say, Hank has hemangiosarcoma…..it’s a very aggressive cancer that usually only gives them 3 months to live. I have gone into “research mode” and prayer warrior mode! With GOD, all things are possible and I am praying for healing, for encapsulation of these growths (my autocorrect kept changing tumors to rumors). I like the rumor word better!! They are just rumors, until we know otherwise!

Anyway, I ordered a new drug made from mushrooms that is in its 4th phase of clinical trials at the U of Penn that prolongs life expectancy from 3 months to 6 months while improving their quality of life. We are changing him to a cancer diet, full of protein and minimal carbs. His incision is healing and he looks really good….you wouldn’t know he has cancer!

Thank you for asking and please continue to pray for us!!

1. Darlene

Poor baby! At least he’s eating and has you for a Mom! Prayers and love being sent your way. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

2. Betty GAbel

Hi Jamie, I am so sad for you with the “rumor” news about Hank. With God’s help maybe you can pull a few tricks out of your hat to extend his life considerably. It is not fair when we have to deal with not one but two sick beloved pets at the same time. I am praying for you and will get back with you concerning Mitzi. Keep researching as I am sure you will.
        Betty.

1. Betty Gabel

Hi Jamie,
          I mentioned Mitzi limping on her right rear foot. This is an on again off again thing. The days she eats well and I get her supplements down her she seems to do so much better with her foot and activity. She has some off days. When this happens she sleeps more, stays in her bed and acts like her feet are worse. Not sure but I think it is because she isn’t getting the necessary protein and collagen she must have. On her good days I am on a high. She has had 6 days of being way off on eating. Last night she started eating hearty again. I was able to get all of her supplements down her today. So today she has lifted my spirits. I do so wish you good luck with Hank and of course Zoe.

8. Betty Gabel

Jamie, I was reading about the benefits of turmeric. Karen Becker, DVM has a very informative article in dogsnaturallymagazine.com about all the benefits of turmeric. It is good for the liver and helps cancer patients. I have been giving this to our dogs for a few months now because it detoxify the body plus many other things. I just saw how to make a paste of it. I am going to try that next. Good luck with Hank.

1. Darlene

Betty, I’m I interested in Tumeric also! I take it so interesting it can be made into paste for Sparky. I’d like to know how to make it too! Thanks

9. jamie

yes, Zoe has been getting turmeric sprinkled on her chicken for a while now. It is fat soluble so, needs to be eaten with some fat. apparently, the benefits are best when making a paste with olive oil and mixing black pepper in with it. The problem is dog’s gi tracts are usually not tolerant of spices. you can also give Curcumin capsules, but not sure how well absorbed those are either! I would love to give more to Hank, but it causes “thinning” of the blood and the type cancer he has carries with it a huge risk of bleeding, unfortunately! (I do still cook their chicken with it sprinkled on top)
    Thanks for asking about us, I continue to need and appreciate your prayers!!!!

10. Mona

Hi Jamie – Finally checking this blog and sorry to hear your news about Hank. Don’t ya just wonder how our dogs are getting these diseases? So sad……I pray that you can find something again to help him and keep him with you and healthy for as long as you can. I think we’re nearing the end for Shelby. I stopped soaking her feet cuz they get more raw – I let them get hard and pick off the crust every couple days. Yesterday I spent an hour and half brushing what little fur she has left and getting the crusting off the bottom of her muzzle. My husband says it’s gross…….but what else do we do? She’s still eating, but her time now is spent sleeping under the clothes in my walk in closet. There’s a lot of days where I think I’m just prolonging this and I know one day in the near future we have to really follow through. It kills me to think of all of us struggling with our pets like this…….prayers for all! Hugs to all our fur babies!

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Mona, I’m so sorry to hear that!! I keep hearing that you will know when the time is right. I don’t know how you know. Praying for y’all!! I wish I could do anything more!

1. Darlene

Mona, I wish I had words to help you through this. I am so sorry about Shelby and what she’s going through and you too. I wish I could do more to help you. You’ve been amazing taking care of Shelby. She seems like a wonderful fur baby. My prayers are with you and your family. I’m know your doing everything you possibly could to make her feel better. God be with you. ❤️

11. Vanessa

Hi Jamie,
    Reading your story about Zoe and Hank, I feel like I’m reading my story. My 10 yr old Jack Russell/hound mix is showing signs of HCS. About 3 months ago she started getting crusty scab like growths in between her pads on her feet. We started with antibiotics and steroid creams which kinda helped. Her biopsy of her feet came back inconclusive and her liver enzymes are fairly normal. Her Alk Phos is slightly elevated. Right now we are doing vitamin E capsules, an antibiotic called Simplicef, a topical med that has betamethasone, gentamicin, valerate, and clotrimizole. Basically a steroid/anti fungal/antibacterial. We just started her on Pentoxifylline which is supposed to help with inflammation and is a mild immunosuppressant. She also takes Denamarin which is supposed to be good for the liver. Lastly she takes ultram for pain. As for food we do a little kibble mixed with a scrambled egg, a dose of Dinovite which has zinc and omega fatty acids, I’m trying to get get to eat this amino acid powder I got but she doesn’t seen to like it. All these problems I’m having with my poor autumn and then last week I just found a huge tumur on my other dogs rib cage that I just know is going to come back Cancer. I’m really just desperate for any advice on how to handle HCS so that Autumn can enjoy what time she had left. Thank you in advance! I am so glad to read that Zoe is doing better and that Hank is still feeling well.

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Vanessa, oh my goodness……my heart breaks for you right now!! It’s hard enough to deal with one dog with a life threatening illness….but 2 is completely overwhelming!! I am praying!!! God know how much we love our animals and HE loves us and them!

Please call me, it’s so much easier to talk through all of this on the phone, if you are in the U.S. or Canada. 205.296.2323. I’m in alabama (central time zone). Available most all of today, as I have a very light schedule.

1. Vanessa

Omg you are amazing. I’m in California and I work nights. I work the next couple of nights but would love to try and catch you this weekend. Thanks for being so open to help. I’ll call you Saturday if that works

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Vanessa, that’s fine…just call whenever it’s convenient! We all are here to help in any way we can!!!

2. Meg

Vanessa,
      My dog, Simmy, has HCS and he gets zinc, Pepcid, milk thistle (also good for the liver), vitamin E, and B amino plex (liquid). He was on an amino plex tablet by Thomas labs but they discontinued it and recommended an amino plex powder. Simmy is an EXTREMELY picky eater and catches I quickly to medications hidden in his food. For the past three weeks that he’s been on the powder form, I mix the amino plex powder, milk thistle, and crushed zinc tablet in a little bit of water and wet dog food. He LOVES it and gobbles it right up!
      I wash his feet nightly in diluted chlorhexidine and then apply either dermapaw or bag balm (available at any drugstore….usually in with the lotions). Then he wears his little doggy socks to bed.
      I am so sorry to hear that you have two furbabies going through some tough times! I will keep you and your pups in my prayers!

1. Vanessa

Thanks Meg!
        Sounds like we are doing a similar routine. Nightly baths with chlorhexadine and Vaseline or bag balm. The biggest problem now isn’t the hard sores as much as her licking them. I think they itch! Her toes are really red. We had to resort to the cone of shame to keep her from licking. I also started Benadryl to see if that helps. She has new “hard” spots popping up weekly. Now it’s on her face and lips. Just trying to find a way to manage this so we can get as much time with her as possible.

1. Meg

Vanessa,
          Simmy wears the cone of shame all the time unless I can watch him to make sure he’s not licking/chewing. He really doesn’t mind it. You might want to look into Dermapaw as it tends to be very soothing to their paws. Last week after grooming I noted his paws were inflamed so I did the dermapaw and it helped overnight! I ordered it online…about $24 for a jar of it. It has lavender and other oils in it. It certainly smells better than bag balm. I’ve been happy with it!

12. Lee Gilbert

Mona:
    So sorry to hear Shelby is having some many problems. Just thought I’d pass on some things that have really improved Murphy’s condition – he was sleeping all the time, and we were really worried. Not sure which, but probably all of the following helped increase amino acid intake. 1. We cook the stock down to where it congeals to a “gummy bear” consistency, and besides with his meals he gets it as treats. 2. We used to put ResiKetoChlor lotion on his feet, but it’s back-ordered everywhere, so we found something with the same ingredients: ChlorConazole Spray, http://www.revivalanimal.com/Vet-Basics-ChlorConazole.html , which gets in between his toes, and seems to work better. 3. Murphy’s nutritionist, based on blood test results from UC Davis, recommended the following to increase his amino acids:
    a.) NOW Taurine Powder http://www.nowfoods.com/Taurine-Powder-8oz.htm – Give 1/8 teaspoon (500 mg) twice daily. NOTE- If it is more convenient to give a capsule, OK to give Now Taurine Capsule 500 mg http://www.nowfoods.com/Taurine-500-mg-100-Capsules.htm – 1 capsule twice daily. (we give the capsules). b.) Increase the ProCell protein powder to 1.5 scoops per day (initially increase to 1 scoop daily, then after 1 week increase to 1.5 scoops). This total volume can be divided amongst his meals.
    She did caution: “Should Murphy have any adverse effects (gastrointestinal upset, behavior changes/neurologic signs such as walking with an “wobbly gait”, gazing/staring “dazed appearance” stop the additional protein supplements. This is highly unlikely but can occur in dogs who have a condition called a “liver shunt” (fortunately Murphy’s ultrasound did not show any evidence of an obvious shunt).”
    Shelby is in our prayers.

13. Mona

Thanks everyone……it helps to know others care about our struggles. I will look into the Taurine but not sure anything will help anymore. We’re trying to hang in there but if I’m really being honest I think she’s miserable. Keep the prayers going – for us and everyone dealing with this awful disease.

14. Lee Gilbert

Mona: If you text me your email address I’ll forward the whole nutritional consultation we got for Murphy – maybe there’s something in there that might help. I’m leaving for church right now, but will send it as as soon as I return. 973-820-7535

15. Ryan Warner

Jamie,

So about a month ago I take my dog to the groomers. Hes a 6 year old Siberian husky, summer in southern MS, needless to say a frequent trip to the groomers is needed. Anyways, about a week (June 5th) later I noticed his elbows were raw like he began to lick. We took him to the Vet and the said just an allergic reaction and put him on steroids and antibiotics.

Another week and nothing seemed to help. Is appetite was diminished and his sore were getting worse. I took him back in and they did blood work and noticed he dropped 10 pounds in just under 6 months. Elevated liver levels.

Said to continue with meds for another week. After that week with no improvement I searched for additional answers. I found a common deficiency in Siberian Husky’s. Zinc. So I stopped all meds. Switched his diet, started a zinc cream on feet and elbows, and zinc supplements. He began to eat better, and showed signs of progress but nothing had completely worked, something was still wrong.

This was about 3 weeks ago. I just got back from Colorado and HE IS WORSE. I took him to the vet and we got him weighed. From 68lbs last year to now a 45lb dog. It sickens me. He was diagnosed yesterday with Hepatocutaneous syndrome. I knew something was wrong, but to hear this… to have someone tell me that my 6yr young dog is terminal…

I couldn’t help but find this blog. I was searching for answers last night, and today, this blog!!! I immediately left from work went to the store bought all things needed for the stock, went home and started the Stock in a crock pot. I fed him a rotisserie chicken which he ate up. He is on some of the same supplements Zoe is on. I found them and tried them without even knowing what he had.

I understand all dogs are different. but everything from your first blog to your last has given me hope. Even if it doesn’t work like it did for ZOE, I am thankful you have shared your story. I will be fighting, just like you continue to do.

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Ryan, I’m so sorry to hear that!! We are all in the same boat here! Feel free to call me and talk through everything! I can give you some tips for how to make stock and what has worked and what hasn’t. My cell phone is 205.296.2323

1. Darlene

Ryan, so sorry to hear about your pup. We need his name! I can contest to Jammie’s treatment because our Sparky, just turned 10 a West Hyland White Terrier has had this for a little over 2 years! When diagnosed he was given 8 months maybe a year and they said it was a fatile disease. I too googled everything I could and everything said terminal and the pictures they showed were horrifying. I found Jammie’s site and I consider her Sparkys Guardian Angel. Without her Sparky wouldn’t be here today. It took a long time to get him to where he is now. He is back to normal, playing, eating, interested in life again. It’s unbelievable how he’s bounced back.
        Unforfunately and I wish I knew why, we have lost a lot of dogs with this disease over the years. Don’t know why it works for some and not others. But as Jammie says “There is Hope!” Sparky takes 16 pills a day, vitamines and supplements. No processed food. He loves his fish and turkey burgers and veggies. There’s lots they can eat. Our Sparkys only 20 lbs so you might have to figure out how much stuff to give him.
        You’re not alone, we are all here to help each other through this! ❤️
        Call Jammie, she’s amazing! Best of Luck and God Bless ❤️

1. Ryan Warner

Forgot to tell you that his name is Kody. I finished the stock last night, and fed him some this morning. I just got back from lunch where he ate another large helping of food. This has been a good sign the past few feeding times because he just wasn’t eating but maybe once a day the last few weeks.

I saw your Email Jamie and I have been meaning to get a hold of you. I am also blessed with a 11month old son named Aiden and a 8 year old Pit Bull. While my trip to Colorado was Military related, my arrival home has been very stressful.

When I get the time I will call. I have a few questions regarding his diet/feeding ritual. Also the insulin units. Which after reading your posts I decided to keep doing it, although the vet said to stop.

Thanks Darlene. Wow 16 pills/supplements? This is where I need the assistance, not sure what to give him…

1. Darlene

Ryan, your Military? God Bless and Thank you! ❤️ Give Jammie a call. Like I said she’s amazing and so willing to help everyone. yes 16 pills but some are given 3x a day. It does get expensive. Talk t Jammie first and if there’s anything I can hel you with I’m more than happy too.
            I would immediately start him on a Milk Thistle for his liver. These pups need lots of protein so get a lot of that in him. Lots of people use eggs. Sparkys picky and won’t eat them everyday. So push any kind of protein. This is just to get him started.
            Congratulations of your baby boy Aiden. Always loved that name!❤️

16. Mona

Sorry to hear about yet another young dog being diagnosed with this disease. Ryan, I hope doing some of these things helps your Kody. I’d think you’d want to start your dog on Denamarin, but ask your vet about it. I get mine on Chewy.com cuz it’s the cheapest. Our Shelby is a blue merle Sheltie and she was diagnosed at 8, and has been struggling with this disease for 10 months. We give her quite a few supplements, but honestly I’m not sure any of them have made her better. I think the Denamarin and the chicken stock have helped some, but for whatever reason she didn’t improve as other dogs have. I hope you have better luck. There’s also a Facebook support group if you’d be interested in joining. Kinda nice to have a place to vent where people understand! Good luck to you with Kody…….

1. Ryan Warner

Mona I would love to be apart of the Facebook group. Send me the invite. You see Kody has lost about twenty pounds over the last, say 6 months. And lately we have been struggling trying to control his diabetes. I would conclude that it is because of his glucose levels that he hasn’t eaten much and therefore lost the weight. We’ve almost got his levels controlled. Another week and we should have it regulated. I’ve been testing it every day 4 times a day. Starting to stay below 400. In contrast he was over 600 for quite a while. He’s eating better now too. We have him on some meds and vitamins. But only a week after diagnosis, struggling with his glucose, we will eventually have another visit for labs and time isn’t on our side. We have found a GREAT remedy for the footpads and elbows. Believe it or no, coco butter. After 4 days of applying and “picking” off the crust, we can see the light. His pads are almost back to normal. And after a good 2 months of not knowing what or why it was building up, he is walking with no pain. And his elbows are well enough to not be inflamed and swollen.

I’m sure this syndrome will rare it’s head again, I just want him to gain weight and feel good given the situation. I hope Shelby feels better anyways. 10 months is better than what my vet told me Kody had. 6 weeks wasn’t an option for me. Thanks to you all, hope is restored.

17. Mona

Hi Ryan,
    When you’re on FB just type Hepatocutaneous Syndrome in the search box and click on join the group. Lisa Brooks is the administrator and she’s quick on adding members. Hope your Kody is doing well…….

18. Vanessa

Jamie,
    I wanted to update on Autumn! She is a brand new dog! Walking, playing, running after the dogs, etc. She has been on a medication called Pentoxifylline for about 5 weeks now. After 2 weeks on the medication autumn was able to walk for the first time in a month. After 3 weeks all her sores were gone! I am still doing the stock and giving her chicken and veggies and I’m sure it’s helping but the medication has been a life saver for her. Has anyone else going through this tried Pentoxifylline?

1. Jamiegoff Post author

No, haven’t heard of it, but just looked it up! Looks like it’s used to increase blood flow in peripheral arterial disease, so I guess it also helps increase blood flow to the extremities to help with healing of the feet? Would love to hear what you vet said about its mechanism of action in hepatocutaneous dogs!! Looks like it’s metabolized in the kidneys, so minimal liver involvement, so that’s great! So glad to her Autumn is back!!!! Thanks for sharing!

1. Vanessa

Unfortunately my vet knows nothing about it. She consulted with a dermatologist who recommended it. We are concerned about having her on it long term and any possible side affects. Oh you’re right about too much chicken stock. One night autumn pooped in the house 4 times! Normally she can go 12 hrs without going outside no problem. Cut back on the stock and no diarrhea!

1. Jamiegoff Post author

How much stock were you giving? Zoe now gets about 1/3 cup of cooked lentils with her meals……has changed our lives!!! Lentils are a natural way of firming stools and since the chicken stock can cause stools to be looser, it’s a game changer…..for the better!!

1. Vanessa

I got lazy and stopped measuring, just poured it in. Big mistake! She’s doing much better now. I giver her 1/3 cup twice a day. Tried feeding her 3 times a day but she wouldn’t eat it and my other dogs were eating it. Since I’ve been measuring it out again, her poops are normal

19. Lee Gilbert

Vanessa:
    What dosage and how often does Autumn get the drug, and how much does she weigh? It’s amazing all the sores disappeared. I’d like my vet to check it out for our pup Murphy. Thanks for you help on what may be a breakthrough for this disease.

1. Vanessa

Autumn weighs 40lbs and takes 400mg twice a day. It’s acutally a human medication. I get it at Costco for about $20 for a 45 day supply! My vet consulted with a dermatologist who recommended it. My vet had never heard of it until now.

20. Vanessa

Quick update! I wanted to see if the Pentoxifylline itself was doing the trick or if the diet was actually helping. I took autumn off the diet of chicken, veggies, eggs and chicken stock right after my last comment on 9/15/15. Sad to report that 3 days ago her sores on her feet started coming back. She’s lethargic and not herself. I DO think the medication is helping but it sure seems like she can’t go without Jamie’s special stock!!! Looks like I have some cooking to do. I am curious if anyone has tried beef stock? Beef bones are easy to get and are bigger so I wanted to try it.

1. Darlene

I wish I could help you all more. I’m in Az with my daughter again. Maher husband has a Mental disorder and we haven’t heard from him in over 4 months so I’m a little distracted. We live in NJ and it’s been so hard. My husband had to stay home because of Sparky our Westie, just turned 10 yrs old. Please listen to Jamie. Sparky was diagnosed 2 yrs ago and is 99% back to normal. Unfortunately he now has diabeties but is doing well. We’re just trying to regulate his insulin. He hasn’t peed T night in 3 days so maybe we are getting close to his right dose.
      Sparky takes about -5 pills, supplements a day and we cook every day for him. No more processed food.
      If anyone out there wants Sparkys regiment I can emIl it to you prob oh Wend when I get back or def by the week end. So sorry I can’t help right now. But there is help but it’s a lot of work.
      My email is dollyandharry@aol.com. I’m only glad to help anyone who’s interested on what we did for Sparky. Mostly it’s Jammie’s suggestions. She’s Sparkys Guardian Angel! ❤️

21. Michael

Hi,
    My dog Poncho has been diagnosed with HS after being on phenol barb for many years. We just did a bile test today and hope to have the results this week. He has sores on all his feet and at times is limping badly. I would like to start him on the stock diet but I’m not sure how to make it.
    I have been reading this blog all day with tears as I can’t give up on him he is only 11 years old but has gone from 16 lbs in may to 12 today.
    Please help!

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Michael, please call me tomorrow afternoon. I want to help you, as phenobarbital is exactly why Zoe got hepatocutaneous syndrome also!! Chicken stock and the collagen supplements along with omega fatty acids have made all the difference for us over the last 3 years since we were diagnosed. 205.296.2323

1. Michael

Hi Jamie
        I will most definitely try to call later today but in caae I can’t is there a email addess that I could send you a note? I have several questions
        Thanks

2. Vanessa

I use chicken thighs skin and all. Stick a large family pack in the crock pot and cover with enough water to just cover the top of the chicken. Cool it for 6-8 hrs. Then I take the chicken out and seperate all the bones. Put the bones back in the crock pot for another 12 hrs. At about 10 hrs I start breaking up all the bones with a fork into little pieces. After 12 hrs I strain all the pieces out and pour it into a Pyrex dish. It takes about 24 hrs to set. My dog is 40 lbs and we feed her 1/3 cup twice a day. Watch out though, if you them too much it gives them severe diarrhea. My best advise is CALL JAMIE! She’s been a great resource and is very experienced with this unlike any vet I’ve been to.

1. MIchael

Hi Vanessa,
          Quick question on cooking the chicken and bones when you do it is it on high or low? I went last night to make another batch and either I didn’t have enough water or the temp got to hot as there is maybe 1 cup of juice.
          Thanks

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Michael, the way I do it is cook it on low in the crock pot for 12 hours….it’s a bit of trial and error with the amount of water, but I bet you will have some AMAZING stock if it only yielded one cup….some times it turns out that I don’t get the quantity I’m accustomed to getting, but it will stand up on a spoon like ballistics gel! I figure that’s going to get Zoe some great collagen!

2. Vanessa

I cook it on high. I put about a quart of water in when I start the chicken. Sometimes I only end up with 2-3 cups of stock. After I take the chicken out I usually add another cup or so of water. I actually started adding a beef bone, just the bone with marrow to the chicken and cook that the whole time because sometimes my stock didn’t gel up like it is supposed to. Maybe try that

3. Darlene

When I make chicken stock I use a large crock pot and fill it to the top. I don’t measure. I’m lucky to get turkey carcasses from our local butcher. To that I add chicken feet, the whole package which is about 15-18 feet. Yes they are discussting to look at! Again we’re lucky to have a Chinese store here. Call stores to try and locate them. They’re very cheap. One package here is under $2. Leave the meat on it adds flavor. I also add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, it will help break down the bones. I then cook it on low for 12 hrs. Sometimes longer if I’m busy and I don’t time it out right. I start it at night and it cooks all night. Then the following morning I deal with it. Straining out the bones and floaty stuff. I put it in pans and put it in the sink and surround it with ice cubes. Cold water can also be used. This is to cool it down faster and put it in fridge. Once cooled I skim the fat off the top. Then I put it in smaller containers, I used to use freezer Quart baggies but I had problems with some of them leaking and then they’ll stick together when frozen. Small containers turn out to be cheaper. I also put in each container one Super Ameno capsule! They need a lot of amino with this disease. So I add it to the collagen. I open the capsule and whisk in the power in each small container. I keep 2 containers in fridge and freeze the rest. I get anywhere from 9-14 containers. Sparky gets about 1/2 to one cup 3 times a day. One container lasts about a day and a half. Since I’ve been using chicken feet the collagen jells like jello (the jell happens after you put it in the fridge and it cools down). Anyhow like I was saying since I’ve been using the chicken feet Sparkys feet, under his tail and around his elbows cleared up within 2 weeks and he’s been clear ever since! He’s also on lot of dupplements and vitamins. He gets 15 pills a day and he’s on 2 liquids, liquid amino 2x a day and PetTinic a multi vitamin. He loves pill pockets do giving him so many pills isn’t hard. Some of his pill are doggie chewables which he loves like treats. If anyone’s interested in his regiment please don’t hesitate to email me. Dollyandharry@aol.com. He’s back to normal and playing again. He seriously was on deaths door! He’s 10 and has had this disease for over 2 yrs. don’t expect an overnight miracle. It took about 9 months to get him here feeling better and almost normal! ❤️

4. MIchael

Hi Darlene,
            How much does Sparky weigh? I have been giving Poncho (12.5 lbs) 1 tablespoon x2 daily should I increase?

22. Mona

Hi Jamie – How are Zoe & Hank doing? Been thinking about everyone and their dogs and figured I’d check in and see. Shelby is about the same, doesn’t look pretty anymore, but we keep plugging away. Today I tried to order the NeoCell Arthro Pet that I’ve been giving her and found out it’s been discontinued by the manufacturer. This is the 2nd supplement that I give Shelby to be discontinued. Wonder if anyone knows of a comparable product I could try? Thanks!

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Hi Mona, thanks for asking about Zoe and Hank….they are both doing well. Hank will be at his 3 month diagnosis time on Monday (that is how long these dogs are expected to live). He still doesn’t know he has cancer and continues to do really well!!! Praise GOD!!!

This is what we use for collagen supplements (has collagen I, II and III plus MSM and hyaluronic acid).http://www.mynewspiritnaturals.com/natural_health_supplements/new_spirit_pro_cell_collagen.html

1. Darlene

Hi Mona, I too have been having a guard time finding the Arthropet Collegen. We usually get it through The Vitamin shop and for the past 2 weeks they’ve been saying it hasn’t come in yet! I went on line this morning and found it at Amazon and a company called VitaSprings (I think that’s it). So try other sites on line. So far no one said they didn’t have it. So it might be what’s left on their shelves!
        This is so disappointing that another product is discontinued! What I like about this product is its chewable. We might be having to make more collagen from bones! Good Luck
        Jammie, I’m so happy to hear your babies are doing well. God Bless! ❤️❤️❤️

1. Darlene

I just ordered Arthropet collagen from several online companies! Google Collegen chewables dogs. There will be a list of companies that still carry it. I ordered from 2 companies yesterday and havnt heard back from them that they didn’t have it. I’m trying to stock up on it in case it is discontinued. Then today I ordered 4 more bottles from another site! So it looks like it’s still available to. Some sites. Keep looking and if I were you I’d try and stock up on it. ❤️❤️ Good Luck

2. Mona

Thanks Jamie – Glad there’s another choice to try for Shelby. Just wondering, how many do you give Zoe a day, just one? Any other info about it I’d need to know for Shelby? Thanks so much…..Mona

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Remind me how much Shelby weighs? Zoe gets a total of 8 per day. 2 in am, 2 in afternoon with eggs, 2 with dinner and 2 before we go to bed. (Zoe weighs 47 lbs)

23. Betty Gabel

What is the difference between the collagen I make by cooking chicken – chicken bones and the collagen sold online for our dogs? I thought I was covered by making the collagen plus all the other supplements recommended.

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Hi Betty, it should be very similar, but my guess is they make it by using collagen and maybe processing it to a more concentrated formula and putting it into powder form and into capsules, adding some of the other additives that help with musculoskeletal issues. I started giving Zoe the collagen supplements first and after about 2 weeks, I started making chicken stock (that’s when I saw the major difference in her skin). I’ve never stopped giving her the collagen supplements (I’ve always used the same brand, as I’ve never found another brand that has types I, II and III collagen in a capsule). Hope that answered the question you asked

24. Betty Gabel

Thanks Jamie, Yes, I understand now. I do have another question though. I thought I would be emailed when any new messages came up, including your recent reply to me. I never get any notifications. I have a hard time finding the comments I am looking for plus the most recent ones. Is there an easy way to figure all this out and get notifications of new inputs? I always click confirm, notify me.

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Betty, I’m so very sorry!! I use WordPress to host the blog and I cannot figure out why you would not get notifications if you are checking the box at the bottom. It definitely has it’s issues, but because I use it on the differently than your side, I’m not sure what is happening. I’ll try to do some researching to determine what is going on!

1. Darlene

I’m getting the notifications now but there was a period where I got nothing. So I guess glitches happen every now and then.

25. Betty Gabel

Okay. I am going to see if this gets through. I can not figure out where the latest comments are. I just get on here and hunt and hunt. Many times reading the same ones. That is good sometimes because I can not retain all the info.

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Hi Betty, the most recent comments are found on the right side of the screen. When I pull up the website, mine are also displayed at the bottom of each post in chronological order as well. Do your not display that way?

1. Darlene

I just got an email from NeoCell about ArtgroPet collagen. Betty the rep said they havnt discontinued it but gave me some websites it’s available from. One was $27 n the other was like $38! So my guess is some places might be dropping carrying it because it’s not a big seller. But she said it’s not discontinued so I’m still stocking up on its, I just got 4 bottles in the mail this morning from WebVitamines. $31.08. The expiration dstes are 5/17.