Happy Mother’s Day!

Sooooo, the good part about writing a blog about what treatments have worked to treat this rare disease, is when things go wrong and the lesions come back, you can reread what worked two and a half years ago!

About 10 days ago, after her lesions wouldn’t respond to the normal chicken stock routine, I revisited what I had written about omega fatty acids being part of her treatment …  (since her diagnosis in October of 2012, she has gotten then twice a day until about 2-3 months ago when she went through an episode of not eating well and didn’t want to take the huge gel capsules…..I discontinued them and forgot to start them back!).

Ten days later…after receiving omega fatty acids plus her normal chicken stock and collagen supplements, her lesions are almost gone from her face, hopefully in another week, they will be resolved!  Praise GOD!!!! (and happy Mothers Day to me!)

29 thoughts on “Happy Mother’s Day!

1. Darlene

Yay! Yes, praise God!
    And aHappy Mothers Day!
    I’m still having problems with around Sparkys Tail and his feet were real bad last week. I soaked them an spent over an hour on each foot trying to get the stuff out and cutting some of it away. What kind of Omega Fatty Acids do you use and where did you get it. I pretty sure Sparkys getting that but might not be enough. I’m so happy about Zoe!

2. Mona

Great news Jamie – Happy for you! Will watch for your reply on what Omega Fatty Acids you use and maybe I’ll try some for Shelby too.

3. Chris Neth

Hi there, the story about your beautiful lady Zoe was just forwarded to my by my sister. I had posted a FB message today about my best boy Mulligan. Your story of Zoe, epilepsy, phenobarbital poisoning the liver, resulting in hepatocutaneous syndrome is just what we are finding with Mulligan, our 8 year old Golden Mix. After two episodes with his feet getting red, oozy, crusty, infected, painful and the regular vet indicating food allergies, I had had enough. I wanted a specialist. I had read about hepatocutaneous syndrome and mentioned it several times to vet, nothing was ever followed up …again just heard food allergies. Well, went to a dermatologist today, after almost $700, biopsies, etc., she is convinced this is what he has. Put him of so many different amino acids, egg yolks, antibiotics for the infections I hope it brings him some relieve. The biopsy will be back in a few days. I hope it gives us a precise answer so we can move forward. I will add the chicken stock/gelatin to his diet also. I hope Zoe continues to be happy and healthy.

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Hi Chris, I am so sorry to hear about Mulligan. For some reason, the site didn’t send me a notification email when you posted and I only just now saw it! How are things going with him? Did the dermatologist give you a definitive diagnosis? Feel free to call me to talk about anything that we have done with Zoe, my cell is 205.296.2323.

1. Chris Neth

Hi Jamie, no definitive diagnosis as yet. Still waiting to hear back, hopefully this week. The dermatologist did start Mulligan on 2 raw egg yolks twice daily, 3 snip tips (Omega 3’s/fatty acids) twice daily and 3 GNC Amino 1000 supplements twice daily. This on top of all of his liver support meds and seizure meds and antibiotics for the staph and other bacterial infection he developed in his feet. But if it will make him comfortable and keep him with me for a longer time I am all for it. He is only 8. Also, the dermatologist has me soaking his feet in a Dankin’s solution which is a mixture of bleach and water, to combat the infections. I have cut back on this a bit, it turns his feet bright pink like it is scalding them. I make the solution a little weaker than she suggested and am soaking Mulligan’s paws every other day. This has all been going on for a week. There is a slight improvement, but still have oozing and the constant desire to lick at his feet. I feel so bad for him, hoping all of you following this blog have great days ahead with your beloved dogs.

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Chris, we used Resi KetoChlor made by Virbac when Zoe’s feet were so bad. Your vet will need to write you a prescription for it. It is a leave on lotion that has a patented system of being longer lasting than a regular lotion. It soothed her feet and helped treat the infection. How much does he weigh?

1. Chris Neth

Hi Jamie, Mulligan weights in at 62 lbs. these days, he should be about 70 or a little higher. He has started to regain his appetite so that is a positive step. I will call the dermatologist today to ask about the lotion. The original vet I was going to had me washing Mulligan’s feet with KetoChlor shampoo when he had his initial bout with this issue. I have some of it left. Maybe I will use it instead of the bleach solution that seems to burn his feet.

2. Jamiegoff Post author

Chris, I give Zoe 4 eggs a day….2 in the am and 2 in the pm. I cook the whites in chicken stock and she eats the whites and the liquid stock (after it’s cooled a bit). She eats the raw yolks with the white mixture. Are you making stock for him?

2. Christina Joyner

Hi, Chris.
          My dog also has lesions on her feet, and we have been using a diluted chlorhexidine soak for her. Maybe ask your vet about that? It’s not harsh like bleach, but you still have to dilute it because it can irritate delicate interior tissues if any is exposed when the solution is used at full strength. Usually it’s about a 1:20 ratio of solution to water. I hope that helps. If your vet does recommend it, you can get a big jug from Amazon for pretty cheap.
          Good luck!

1. Chris Neth

Hi Christina, thanks for the info on the foot soak. I will certainly ask the Dermatologist about it. I’m also going out today to get all the makings for the chicken stock. I will cook it in the crockpot over night and have it ready hopefully by tomorrow. Mulligan’s feet are looking better between the toes, but on the back feet, the big black pads going up his hock?? They are so cracked where they meet the skin. He had a biopsy taken from each back foot. They are not healing well. I feel so bad for him, as I feel bad for what all of you and your furry babies are going through as well. Still no confirmed diagnosis, but with all of the info this blog is sharing and the images and articles I have found on-line, I feel it is HC. My biggest concern is how much work it takes, we are planning a vacation this summer and if Mulligan isn’t better, I don’t know who will take care of him for me. This has me really worried.

2. Jamiegoff Post author

Hi Chris, when we go out of town, we have someone come to our house and stay with Zoe. I just make sure to have enough chicken stock cooked and baggies of food for her (with lots of instructions). Because Zoe is also diabetic, it takes some “training”. I actually trained my dog sitter to give her shots with her from her friend, it allows us to actually have a bit of a life. Please call me if you have any questions about making the stock! I am happy to share the lessons I’ve learned through trial and error ;))

3. Chris Neth

I do have a number to call for someone to stay at my house, I was going to give it another week with Mulligan to see if he rebounds at all. I’m hoping the young lady (receptionist at my vet) will be open to doing all that needs to be done. One question on the chicken stock. I don’t recall seeing anything about you freezing it for later use. Is that OK to do if I make an overabundance?

4. Jamiegoff Post author

Hi Chris, some of the people whose dogs are smaller freeze it (I don’t, since I use it within about 3-4 days of making it).

5. Chris Neth

Hi Jamie, the dermatologist just called me, the biopsy results for Mulligan are consistent with Hepatocutaneous Syndrome. I was hoping otherwise, but knew from this blog that Mulligan fit the profile exactly. So, we are pumping him up with Amino Acids, I am making the stock, we will see where this road leads us.

6. Jamiegoff Post author

Chris, I’m sorry to hear that, but agree that he sounded like he had the classic symptoms. How did you first batch of chicken stock go?

7. Chris Neth

Hi Jamie, so Mulligan is finally receiving the first batch of stock. What an undertaking. A few days ago, I put an almost defrosted entire chicken in the crock pot with water up to 3/4 covering the chicken, I didn’t cut into smaller pieces. I put the crockpot on low and let the chicken cook for 6 to 7 hours. Let it cool and took all of the chicken off of the bones and put the bones and skin along with all of the liquid back in the crockpot. I had trouble finding chicken feet so the stock was in the fridge for a couple of days. Finally found the chicken feet, added them to the crockpot and added enough water to bring almost to 1 inch below the surface of the crockpot covering the chicken feet (2 lbs.). Turned on to low, about 6:00pm. Wanted to cook for 12 hours as you suggested, but was concerned about 1:30 am when I kept smelling the chicken stock cooking, was so nervous about it that I came down at 1:30 and turned it off, but left it all in the crockpot until 8:00am, it was still warm. Strained it all and put it in several small containers in the fridge. At 7:00pm, checked it and like magic, it was very thick and congealed like jello. Prepared Mulligan’s dinner with two egg yolks, three snip tips, chicken, his Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover’s Soul dried food and the chicken stop, it disappeared quickly and now Mulligan is resting comfortably on the couch. Hopefully, adding this stock to his daily routine will make his feet more happy. I’ll keep you posted.

8. Jamiegoff Post author

Thanks, Chris for the update. It will get easier!! I let my stock cook for 12 hours overnight and usually wake up with the whole house smelling like chicken stock ;))

4. Christina Joyner

My dog, Dixie, was diagnosed with Hepatocutaneous this past December after months of not knowing what was wrong with her feet. She is a Lab/Husky mix and will be 9 years old this July. We are still trying to figure out what works and what doesn’t and have had varying results with different treatments. I saw your posts about making chicken stock for Zoe and that that has helped tremendously for her lesions. I was wondering, do you make your own to have control over exactly what is in the stock, or to cut down costs? I’m thinking about trying it for Dixie. Also, how long does the stock usually last? Dixie has had an open wound on her front right foot since November, and no matter what they try to do, it will not close up and heal. And now that she has Diabetes as well (for about a month now), it’s going to be even harder to get it to close up. Have you had any experience with anything like this with Zoe?
    Dixie’s diet right now consists of:
    1/2 cup of Nature’s Variety Chicken flavored dry food
    1/3 can of Nature’s Variety Chicken flavored canned food
    1 tsp Procel protein powder
    1 Free Form Omega Fatty Acid tablet
    about 1/3 cup cooked chicken meat OR 1 scrambled egg

She also is getting 3000mg amoxicillin, 50mg zinc, 800mg SAM-e, and 600mg milk thistle per day, along with her 30 units of insulin twice daily.

I think this morning I might try the cooked egg whites and raw yolk to see if that makes a difference. I must say, on days like today (not too good so far) it is very uplifting to come across this blog and see that your dog has been around for 2 years with this disease. Any suggestions that you may have, or any other tips and tricks would be so incredibly helpful. Especially when it comes to treating those poor little cracked and calloused feet. 🙁

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Christina, I’m so sorry to hear about Dixie! I ONLY use chicken stock that I have made….my experience with it suggests it is best to have true “totally congealed” stock….the kind that will stand up in a spoon when you lift it from the jar after it’s been in the fridge for at least 12-24 hours. I use mine for no more than 5-6 days after I’ve made it. I usually make up just over 2 quarts at a time and it lasts about 2-3 days. I use a small chicken carcass and about 1.2 lbs of chicken feet and use the broth from where I cooked the chicken….the liquid usually is just over the bones, not all the way to the top of the crockpot.

How much does Dixie weigh? Please call me on my cell at 205.296.2323. (Zoe only gets real food, no processed food, as it is harder for the liver to process the food with all the additives in it)

5. Erin Wilson

Hello dear dog lovers, Unfortunately Dagwood went to be with God tonight. He seized for 10 minutes then we rushed him to Medvet but he was already gone. Please pray for our family and our sweet boy. If anyone is in need of Collagen, Amino Supplements or Kepra, please let me know and I will gladly send. Thank you for your love and support, especially Jamie. We had two years after this horrid diagnosis and they were amazing.

1. Chris Neth

Erin, I am so sorry for your loss. It is so terribly difficult to lose such a beloved part of the family. My thoughts are with you and may Dagwood rest in peace with no more seizures.

2. Chris Neth

Erin, again I am so sorry for your loss of Dagwood. I hope each day gets a little easier. Regarding the Keppra, I do use it for Mulligan. We use the 750 mg ER (Extended Release). If that is what you have, I would be able to use it. If others show interest, please send to them first. It is expensive, but we get it at Sam’s Club at a great discount and we can manage it. If there is no other interest and you have the dosage that Mulligan needs we could certainly use it. I hope you have a beautiful day.

6. Mona

Hi Jamie,
    Hope things are going well for you with Zoe. I wanted to write you and ask your opinion on my situation with Shelby. She started having loose stools, so after 3 days we took a sample to the vet. They tested it and no parasites, and gave us pills for the problem. After only a short time, she stopped going all together so we stopped giving her the pills. After a day, it was all back to normal. I had been giving her chicken and rice only during the loose days, so when it was better I went back to the normal feeding routine. Well, everything is happening again. I’m not sure if it’s the stock itself that’s giving her this problem, but I feel stressed wondering what will happen if I don’t give it to her! Her nails are crooked and her feet are still pretty bad so I know it has to be painful when she walks, which she rarely does. Mostly she goes in our basement and sleeps behind the couch where no one can bother her. I want to keep her with me, but yet I wonder if that’s what’s best for HER. Maybe a vet visit and their opinion would help me decide, I’m just afraid to hear it. 🙁

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Hi Mona, I’m so sorry that Shelby is having loose stools! Zoe intermittently has issues, as well. Lots of online research and the thing that does the trick for her is adding lentils (cooked) to her diet…..it’s made a world of difference!!!

Of course, these days she isn’t eating so well….except for tonight when she wanted 3 refills of chicken! Then when I left her out in the front yard to come inside and wash my hands, she crossed the road to take herself of a “walk”!!!! Luckily the oncoming cars saw her and stopped, so she could cross the road to the sidewalk and proceed to walk down the sidewalk!!! She hasn’t been for a real walk in about 6-8 weeks! It wasn’t even on my radar that she would take off on her own!

I give Zoe about 2 tablespoons of lentils with her meals and it really has made a difference in the formation of her stools. How often is Shelby getting some form of stock? You could try doing smaller, more frequent stock and see if that plus the lentils helps. As always, feel free to call me to talk thru any of this!! 205.296.2323

2. Jamiegoff Post author

Mona, I meant to tell you 2 other things I use to control diarrhea in Zoe. Nutramax Proviable DC capsules which contains probiotics. For emergent use, the Proviable paste (as well as Pro-Pectalin paste) usually stop it within an hour or two. We have been dealing with diarrhea for years with her and have controlled it with both natural (lentils) and these meds. Sometimes the stock causes her to have diarrhea and if I’ve noticed that it started with the batch I just made, I make new and toss the old…..don’t know why sometimes it causes it, but hope this helps!