Spring is here…..almost!

Zoe continues to do well with hepatocutaneous, but she is definitely aging and her gait and her vision are both worsening. It has always been my prayer that she would live her last days just as an old dog!

The weirdest thing is she has started barking at me when it’s time to eat and I preparing everything, but I haven’t yet put it down for her…..how different from the days of she wouldn’t eat, unless I fed her by hand and then maybe just some chicken and Ezekiel bread!

20140324-221434.jpg

48 thoughts on “Spring is here…..almost!

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Thanks Shelby!! It’s such a contrast from where we’ve been! I know you miss your Cubby! Thanks for continuing to keep up with Zoe! Blessings!

1. Darlene McCabe

Hi Kristin, you wrote no more leisions , what did you do to get rid of them? My Sparky is getting more and I’m trying so hard to help him. Did you give her the coligan? If so now long did it take and how much did you give her. I just started him on this Sunday. Thanks

2. Darlene McCabe

Hi Kristin, you wrote no more leisions , what did you do to get rid of them? And how long did it take. Thanks

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Darlene, I’ll let Kristin answer about how long it took for them. For Zoe, she responds within 2 weeks of starting the chicken stock around her face and body. Her feet take longer. The skin cells reproduce quicker around the face, so I suspect that why the difference. She intermittently gets diarrhea, which others have noted as well. I give her probiotics to help with diarrhea or proviable KP

1. Darlene McCabe

What? You put the chicken stock on the sores? I’ve been having Sparky drink it! Big difference! My butcher gave me 4 turkey carcasses so I made the stock from that. So I out it on the sores! How often and should I soak his feet I it thank you so much

1. Darlene McCabe

What are you feeding Zoe? She looks great! How long has she had the disease? My Westie, Sparky’s had it for almost a year now. And I am hand feeding him as well! He eats but won’t unless we hand feed him! I don’t mind he just started getting the sores on his neck. I’m trying collagen to see it it works for him. Good luck and God Bless! Darlene

1. Jamiegoff Post author

I think that’s what Kristin uses. I have to be careful about Zoe’s diet, since she is disbetic

1. Darlene McCabe

Thanks for answering me. Sparky had bloodworm yesterday and that’s where he’s headed, diabetes. His GLU is 198 and reference range should be 70-143. Vet said she usually gives insulin around 300. Is I hard giving the shots 2x a day.

1. Jamiegoff Post author

At first it was really hard! I’m a nurse practitioner by education, so I’ve give PLENTY of shots, but this was different. Now, it’s just part of our routine. I also give her alpha lipoic acid 50 mg to help control her glucose–she weighs about 55 lbs. that has helped regulate her blood sugars and it’s a capsule. You can ask your vet about it. My vet is super “holistic” in her way of thinking, so we do lots of natural meds

1. Darlene McCabe

Thank you so so much! Sparky will get his 4th Ameno Infusion on Monday. They have helped him and his outlook. I’ll ask her then. The Vet is a specialist and has written articles and has done a lot of research on livers. She put him immediately on Vit E, Milk Thistle and Sam E so she’s open to alternative methods. I’d still like to know how much collage. I should be giving him. God Bless
            PS we are from the Jersey Shore, Middletown

2. Jamiegoff Post author

Cool! Do you want to call me to discuss? It’s easier to explain over the phone. 205-296-2323.

1. Darlene McCabe

I don’t think my hoe comment went through. If I did please don’t think I’m loosing it by saying the same thing over. I just wanted to Thank You for talking with me. I am so restful hat your trying to help others that are are in the same boat. I’m looking forward to talking to you again. you probably have caller ID but if not, my number is 732-671-4857.
          Thanks Again
          Darlene

1. Kristin Brown

Darlene – you can call me and I will tell you what has worked for Lilybelle, 251 644 4432.

2. Darlene McCabe

Kristin! Thank You so much. Are you home tomorrow? I have to work on Sparky’s
            Feet yet. D that takes over an hour! I really appreciate all the suggestions and help I can get!
            Thanks Again,
            Darlene

2. Kristin Brown

Yep. And I know the feeling, Lily’s feet were messed up for over a year. She was so bad, I almost put her down last August. But she is now lesion free since late December or early January. All her vets are amazed at her progress.

1. Darlene McCabe

Kristin, it’s almost 10 PM and too late to call. Sparky had a very good day. He even ran (don’t get excited. It more like a slow run or fast walk!) Our Gardner came to blow the lawn and fertilize. They do not put anything on the portion of the lawn where Sparky does his thing! When I took him out and he saw them he ran to them! I was amazed because he has t moved that fast in several months! Tonight he’s not doing as well. He didn’t want to eat his dinner. I tried several things and ended up making him a egg which I forced the first piece in his mouth and he ate it and then ate the rest of the egg. I’m wondering if his mouth hurts. He did eat his sweet potato but not as much as he usually does. He had a little watermelon also. I’m thinking also maybe his stomach might be upset so I gave him canned pumpkin which he ate on his own. I still have to soak his rear end under his tail and put his medicine on it. Do you work? I’m home all day tomorrow. Is there a good time to call you? It’s so nice of you to want to talk to me. It is nice to know your not alone.
      God Bless
      Darlene

1. Kristin Brown

I work from home. My morning is fairly open. I understand how you feel. I don’t think I could have made it without Jamie. I was so devastated. I don’t know if what has worked for Lily will work for Sparky but I was willing to try anything. I didn’t have anything to lose at that point. Just call me when you can. I will make time. God bless.

1. Darlene McCabe

Sorry Kristin we got cut off! I tried calling but I think you were still talkin cause t went to voicemail n said it was full. Thank you so much for all your help! I really appreciate it n all the info.
          God Bless you n all your babies
          Dalene

3. Darlene McCabe

Hi Jamie, you mentioned 3 things you thought important. Zinc Methionine, ResiKetoClor and a mini biscuit, I thought you said Zinbro mini and I thought you said it was Fosters and Smith. I can’t find it. Maybe I heard you wrong or wrote it wrong. Do you know what I. Talking about
    Thanks
    Darlene

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Zinc methionine is available as Zinpro, but I just ordered it thru amazon. It contains 8mg of zinc methionine per biscuit. Hope this helps!

1. Darlene

Good Morning, Sparky’s having his 4th Amino Infusion today! And I’m making my 2nd batch of Turkey Collagen. I just wanted to update you all on Sparky’s progress. Yesterday he had his weekly Med Bath and I al just amazed that the sores he had on his shoulders are almost GONE! The yellowish scabs are gone and there’s just a few black flakes and his skin looks a little pink. These scabs are only a week old so they weren’t there long.
        Another happy moment is that he wanted to play! He brought me his ball and I threw it and he ran after it! I cried! I got on the floor with him and he was all over me wanting to play! I didn’t want to overdo it because he hasn’t played for about 6 months!i see such a big improvement in him and I’m only giving him the Turkey stock for 1 week!
        Thank you so much for helping us and giving Sparky a better life!
        God Bless you for helping others that you don’t even know!
        Darlene

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Darlene, thank you so much for your kind words! I hope and pray Sparky continues to do well! Just know that many times the lesions come back after about 2 weeks and it seems that increasing the frequency is helpful, if you aren’t already giving it to him many times a day. I appreciate your keeping us updated!! Thanks and God bless!!

4. Kay Kasunick

My sheltie has hepatocutaneous his feet is not to bad. His liver looks like swift cheese. He does not eat we are feedin him with a syringe . I will start the chicken stock tomorrow. Should I give him one teaspoon daily. He weighs 16 pounds. Thank you for your help Kay

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Kay, I’m so sorry!! Yes, start with a tablespoon 4-5 times a day and make sure you get Omega fatty acid supplements. If you need to stimulate appetite, try ProMod liquid protein supplement. I’m happy to talk with you, if you would like to call me tomorrow my cell phone is 205.296.2323

1. Darlene

Kay, by al means give Jammie a call. She saved our Westie, Sparky. He has it over 2 years and is finally back to acting normal. Do what she says so his feet don’t get the black crusty stuff. That’s so so hard to deal with and very painful for them. The stock is amazing and easy to do. Good luck. Sorry you had to join our club but so happy you found it. This is a horrible disease but don’t give up. It’s a lot of work but worth it and it just becomes a part of your everyday life. Good luck! ❤️

1. Kay Kasunick

We started Radar five dats ago on the jell I know you said it takes about two weeks before you may see some difference. How long was it before the jell started making an improvement in the pads? We are feeding him baked chicken and ground turkey he also gets a egg a day. Thank you for all your help. Kay

1. Jamiegoff Post author

Kay, it takes much longer on their paws…..usually more like 3 weeks to a month….the cells reproduce slower there than on the face.

2. Darlene

I left 2 containers in fridge. It takes awhile to defrost. I freeze the rest n take out 2 days before I need it. I freeze in small containers. They hold about 2 cups. Sparkys a Westie n weighs about 20 lbs. he gets it 3x a day about 1/2-1 cup at each feeding. I also add a capsule of extra strength Ammino in each container n whisk it in. I open up the capsule and put the powder in. Extra Ammino that they need. He loves it. Sparkys livers like Swiss cheese also but havnt checked it cause it’s expensive and he gets bloodwork every other month. I’d love to do it again but like my husband said why spend the extra money. He’s doing so well. No more scabs all summer and he’s playing, eating and pooping well, back to our normal Sparky! He’s on people food and lots of veggies and about 15 supplements a day. Thank you Jammie! ❤️❤️ You are amazing t be helping so many of our pups!

5. Kay Kasunick

Thank you for the support we need all we can get. I got 12 chicken legs yesterday and covered them with water cooked them on simmer for 5 hours but the liquid did not jell what am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help. Kay

1. Darlene

Do you have a slow cooker? I use a slow cooker and cook it for 10 hrs or more. And I put 2 Tablespons of apple cider vinegar. It helps break down the bones.

6. Kay Kasunick

Thank you I just did not wate long enough my stock did jell after I put it in the refrigerator. Radar has had it two times today will give it to him three more times. Thank for all the help. Kay

1. Jamiegoff Post author

I only keep it in the fridge for no more then 5-6 days. Yes, I know others freeze it. ( Zoe weighs 47 lbs, so we eat A Lot of stock!!,).

1. Kay Kasunick

Thank you Radar only weigh 17 pounds I think I been keeping in the refrigerator to long make some new I,m going to try freezing it .He owing pretty good thanks to your help May God pless you always thanks again.